As essential tools in your arsenal for fire protection and safety, you should know how to use a fire extinguisher. As it sits in its glass case ready to use, imagine being in an emergency and not knowing how to operate this piece of equipment. Here’s a guide to using a fire extinguisher so that you are fully prepared to protect yourself and your property.
Did you know that all fire extinguishers aren’t the same? There are five different classes of extinguisher, which each is more effective than another on a specific type of fire.
- Class A fire extinguishers are most appropriate for use on wood, paper, cloth, trash and other similar materials. You can identify it by its triangle symbol, the color green, and an image of a burning pile of wood.
- Class B extinguishers use a square symbol and the color red. You’ll see a burning puddle on its label to signify its use for gasoline, oi, paint, and other fires caused by flammable liquids.
- Class C is for electrical equipment. Look for a circle symbol and the color blue. It uses an image of a burning outlet.
- Class D extinguishers use a star symbol and the color yellow. It’s used on combustible metals and metal alloys.
- Class K is used for cooking oils and fats. Look for a hexagon symbol and the color black. You’ll also see a frying pan on the label.
Always keep your fire extinguisher in an easily accessible location. Maintain a clear path to the extinguisher at all times and show everyone in the home where to find it in case of an emergency. On a regular basis, ensure that it is good working condition and that there is no damage to any components of the extinguisher.
If you’re worried about remembering the step-by-step instructions of operating a fire extinguisher, remember that they all come with directions for correct use. Many people use the acronym P.A.S.S. to remember the order of using an extinguisher. In the process, the P stands for pull. Pull the safety pin from the handle. Next, Aim the hose at the base of the fire. Squeeze the trigger and continually Sweep the hose from side to side until the fire is completely out.
Fire Prevention and Protection Services from Advanced Fire Protection Systems
Advanced Fire Protection Systems is committed to providing all of our commercial and residential customers with effective and appropriate fire protection systems. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to meet all of your fire protection needs and keep your business running. We provide full-service design, construction, testing, and maintenance for all water-based fire protection systems. Let us use our years of experience to protect your residential or commercial property from fires. To get started with Advanced Fire Protection Systems today, contact us online or give us a call at 443-557-0321.